Maddermarket Theatre Trust Ltd
In this privacy notice you can find out the following:
- Who the Maddermarket Theatre Trust Ltd is
- The legal bases we rely on to process your data
- When we collect your personal data
- What sort of personal data we collect
- How and why we use your personal data
- How we protect your personal data
- How long will we keep your personal data
- Who do we share your personal data with?
- What are your rights over your personal data
- Any questions?
This Privacy Notice explains in detail the types of personal data we may collect about you when you interact with us. It also explains how we’ll store and handle that data, and keep it safe. We hope the following will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. It’s likely that we’ll need to update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We’ll notify you of any significant changes, but you’re welcome to come back and check it whenever you wish. When you are using the Maddermarket Theatre or The Norwich Players, the Maddermarket Theatre Trust Ltd is the data controller.
2. The Maddermarket Theatre Trust Ltd
The Maddermarket Theatre Trust Ltd is a charitable trust formed in 1952 when founder, Nugent Monck, gave the theatre, its properties and the site to the Trust. This was a committee of Players (The Norwich Players), with an agreed constitution who elected a board of trustees to become responsible for managing the theatre. The same system exists today. New Players are elected by existing Players and the Trustees are also elected by the Players. The theatre is managed by a small paid staff and an army of volunteers.
Whenever you interact with the Maddermarket Theatre or The Norwich Players the Maddermarket Theatre Trust Ltd is the data controller.
3. The legal bases we rely on
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
- We can collect and process your data with your consent, for example, when you tick a box to receive our email newsletters. We'll always make it clear what you're consenting to and what information is needed.
- In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations.
- For example, when you book tickets and you would like them delivered via post, we will collect your postal address.
- If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data.
- For example, if an accident occurs in our venue we will collect your information for our accident report log under Health and Safety regulations.
- In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
- For example, we will use your ticket purchase history to send you information about other events that we think may be of interest to you, as long as you have given us your consent to be contacted.
- We also combine the booking history of many audience members to identify trends to help us develop our theatre services and programming.
4. When we collect your personal data
- When you visit our website and use TicketSource to buy tickets, or when you call or visit the Maddermarket Box Office in person.
- When you use a service at the venue e.g. costume hire.
- When you interact with us on social media.
- When you join a Maddermarket loyalty programme (e.g. Friends Scheme or Season Tickets).
- When you contact us by any means with queries or complaints.
- When you ask one of our staff to email you information.
- When you enter competitions.
- When you book any kind of appointment with us.
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you.
- When you fill in any forms. For example, if an accident happens at the venue, a staff member may collect your personal data; or if you sign up to audition for a show.
- When you use our venue which usually has CCTV systems operated for the security of both customers, staff and volunteers. These systems may record your image during your visit.
- When you sign up to be one of our volunteers
- When you sign up to take part in one of our productions.
- When you sign up to one of our education programmes e.g. Mad Red Theatre School
5. What sort of personal data we collect.
- If you book tickets with us: your name, email address, billing/delivery address, telephone number, booking history and details of your booking preferences.
- Details of your interactions with us via email and in person at the venue. For example, we collect details of any complaints or comments you make
- Your gift voucher redemptions and transactions.
- Details of your visits to our website, and which site you came from to ours.
- Payment card information is processed but is not saved.
- Your comments and feedback on shows and productions e.g. reviews.
- Your image may be recorded on CCTV when you visit our theatre.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
- Your name, email and telephone, as well as emergency contact information, if you sign up to be one of our volunteers.
- Your name, email and telephone if you book to attend one of our adult education programmes.
- Your name, email, telephone, gender identity, casting age if you sign up to audition for one of our shows.
- Emergency contact information and any relevant medical conditions or allergies if you are cast in one of our shows.
- Your facial image via production photography if you take part in one of our shows.
- Your name, telephone, email, address, school, parent/guardian name, telephone, email address, allergies, medical or behavioural information you wish to share and sometimes your school if you sign up for one of our Mad Red Theatre School classes or productions.
- Copies of documents you provide to prove your age or identity where the law requires this. (including your passport and driver's licence). This will include details of your full name, address, date of birth and facial image. If you provide a passport, the data will also include your place of birth, gender and nationality.
- Your name, telephone, and address if you hire anything from our wardrobe or props store.
6. How and why we use your personal data.
- We want to give you a good experience at the Maddermarket. One way to do that is to get a full picture of who you are by combining the data we have about you. We then use this to send you details of future events we think you might be interested in, or to send you offers. In the case of Friends scheme or Season Tickets, we’ll also offer you relevant rewards and services we have promised as part of the service you have signed up for.
- You can change how we use your data at any time and details of how to do this are in section 11.
- If you choose not to share your personal data with us, or opt out of contact we might not be able to provide information you’ve asked for. E.g. if you’ve asked us to email you know when an event goes on sale we can’t do that if you’ve withdrawn your general consent to hear from us by email.
Here’s how we’ll use your personal data and why:
- To process any tickets that you book by using our website, box office system TicketSource, and by telephone and at the venue. If we don’t collect your personal data we won’t be able to process your booking.
- Sometimes we need to pass this information on to someone else to help us deliver you a service. For example, your details may need to be passed to a third party to deliver a season brochure to you if you have opted in to postal contact.
- To respond to your questions and complaints. Processing this information enables us to respond to you and sometimes we may keep a record of these interactions for monitoring purposes to allow us to improve our theatre.
- To protect our audiences, buildings, assets, staff and volunteers from crime, we operate CCTV systems in our venue which records images for security.
- With your consent, we will use your personal data, preferences and details of your bookings to keep you informed by email and/or post about our events and services including special offers or competitions. You can opt out of hearing from us by any of these channels at any time.
- To send you relevant, personalised communications by post in relation to updates on season tickets and renewals, renewal of Friends memberships and our seasonal brochure. We’ll do this on the basis of our legitimate business interest. You are free to opt out of hearing from us by post at any time.
- To send you communications required by law or which are necessary to inform you about our changes to the services we provide you. For example, updates to this Privacy Notice, or information relating to your ticket booking e.g. if an event is cancelled or postponed.
- To fulfil any of the competitions which you enter, based on your consent at the time you entered the competition.
- To send you survey and feedback requests to help improve our theatre and performances.
- To build a picture of our audiences we’ll use data captured from across our theatre to inform business decisions.
- To process your booking requests our education programmes.
- To process your requests to use our costume hire service.
- To process your requests to volunteer with us. For example, we may email you with details of available shifts in your relevant area.
- To process your wish to be involved in our of our productions. For example we may create a contact sheet of all of our actors and creative teams so that we can contact everyone in relation to rehearsals.
7. How we protect your personal data
We know how much data security matters to all our audiences, customers, and volunteers. We will treat your data with great care and take all appropriate action to protect it.
Access to your personal data is password-protected, access is restricted, and sensitive data (such as payment card information) is secured and encrypted to ensure it is protected.
8. How long we keep your personal data
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long we need it. At the end of that retention period, your data will either be destroyed completely or anonymised, e.g. so it can be used for statistical purposes.
The length of time we keep your data will depend on the kind of relationship we have with you and which of our services you make use of. For example:
We will erase your personal information from our box office system (TicketSource) after 4 years. Your booking history and transactional data will be retained, but anonymised, for the purposes of financial records and analysis.
We destroy audition information immediately after the casting process unless you opt in to one of our mailing lists to hear about future opportunities.
We will keep details of our volunteers for as long as they are engaging with our venue and activities. After 12 months of no interactions with us the details will be destroyed.
9. Who do we share your personal data with?
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties. For example, direct mailing companies. In these cases we will make sure there is a data processing agreement in place. Here’s the policy we apply to those organisations to keep your data safe and protect your privacy:
• We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services.
• They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them.
• We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
• If we stop using their services, any of your data held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous.
Examples of the kind of third parties we work with are:
• Direct marketing companies who help us manage our electronic communications with you.
• Direct marketing companies who help us deliver our postal communications with you (brochure).
• Companies we work with: Constant Contact (emails), Precision Marketing Group (postal mailings).
10. What are your rights over your personal data
You have the right to request:
• Access to the personal data we hold about you.
• The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
• That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing
• That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
Access to the information we hold about you
The right to have your personal data corrected in the case of errors, or when they aren't complete or are out of date
The right to erase all data we hold for you, unless it conflicts with our legal obligations.
The right for us to stop processing in any of the ways mentioned in section 6.
The right to ask use to move your data.
The right to object
Rights in relation to any automated decision making and profiling.
• You can contact us to exercise these rights at any time as follows:
To ask for your information please send an email to email@example.com, call the admin office on 01603 626560 or visit us in person at: Maddermarket Theatre, St John’s Alley, Norwich, NR2 1DR.
If we choose not to action your request we will explain to you the reasons for our refusal.
Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
Where we rely on our legitimate interest
In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation.
We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Checking your identity
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice.
If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
11. Any questions?
If you have a question about our privacy notice you can request more information by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, call the admin office on 01603 626560 or visit us in person at: Maddermarket Theatre, St John’s Alley, Norwich, NR2 1DR.